Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Long Ride Home

In this story you can find me on my way home from work, maxing it as usual, engrossed in my smart phone. So engrossed, in fact, that when I did happen to look up and notice where I was, I had only one more stop to go, my own.
The small screen read "Lloyd Center" and I settled back comfortably into a haze of technology.
When I glanced up again, the screen had changed. It now read, "Hollywood Transit Center" and I could hear the compelling electronic voice of a woman commenting, "the doors are closing." I bolted up and squeezed past the woman beside me, running pell-mell to the doors and zipping out, just in time to look up at the stops' sign: Lloyd Center. I had raced out to found myself at the wrong stop.
Did I, like a normal person, turn around to force my way back on the Max, as I clearly had one more stop to go? No. No, I acted as though that were my stop all along, walking along the tracks until the sounds of the light-rail faded away, and I could safely turn around and wait for the next train, almost ten minutes away, not having to worry about the judgmental glances and laughs of the STRANGERS surrounding me.

2 comments:

Matt "Hacksaw" said...

Oh, Cookie, I think that strangers are so judgmental, I mean, I would be judging them. I am just glad that you kept your cool. Next time think of the comedy factor though, instead of just acting like you missed it, yell something like, "I left my baby on the MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!!!!Now those strangers would really be judging you, but you would be judging them right back. I know this is a long comment, but I have a theory about having a joke ready for situations just so you can make the most of it. Like when you fall off a tall building. If it happens, you are already dead, so instead of doing something totally predictable, yell something funny for all those onlookers to hear. I especially like the idea of shouting calmly, "deploy wings" and then screaming hysterically, "DEPLOY WINGGGGGGGGGS" That would make it funny for everyone, especially when some bystander tells a reported, "I think he yelled 'deploy wings' before he hit." I don't even need to blog, I'll just right comments on your wall.

Kim, Byron H & M said...

I thought your blog was pretty funny (and I would have done the exact same thing) but Matt kind of outshined you with his comment. Sorry sister, you gotta watch out for Mattski in that regard.