Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Assignment #5


          The steam rises from the pool in lazy spirals, reaching towards a darkening blue sky.  As I lay back against the cold tile, the bulbous lights studding the underwater bench seat underneath the salt water flick on, illuminating our ghostly legs.  I kick mine back and forth, and push out from the wall, vaulting into open war.  I twist my body around and wrap my legs around him from the back, pulling him into me. I lead us this way back to the bench seat.  With his body resting against mine, and my head on his shoulder, I can fully take in the green palm fronds surrounding the hot water; the huge banana leafs fanning the door back into the changing room, the towels hung neatly in a row.  
            A little girl is splashing on the stairs at the far end of the pool, the side where the water is shallow.  She holds out two small, yellowing leaves to her caretaker.  The caretaker soundlessly laughs, and takes the leaves presented. 
He breathes out a chuckle into my ear, pointing out the child to me.  He reaches behind us and finds a leaf similar to the one grasped in the girl’s hands. He uses one hand to gently push my hair behind my ear, and the other to place the leaf there.  He tells me I look beautiful.  

No comments: